Attorney Shawn Haff of The Criminal Defense Law Center of West Michigan will fight for your rights and refuse to cave into prosecutor’s in West Michigan who try to bully our clients into doing something that is not in their best interest. We won’t rest until we give you the best representation we can regarding your weapons charges.
Prosecutor’s in all West Michigan counties take weapons charges very seriously. Some common weapons charges are:
1. Carrying a concealed weapon: A person who conceals and carries a pistol, dagger, dirk, stiletto or a double-edged non-folding stabbing instrument of any length is charged with a felony that can be punished with up to five years in prison and has a maximum fine of $2,500.
2. Carrying a dangerous weapon with unlawful intent: Any person who carries a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto or knife with a blade of more than three inches long is charged with a felony, punishable by up to five years in the state prison. These weapons charges carry a fine of up to $5,000.
3. Possession of a firearm by a person convicted of a felony: If you have been convicted of a felony and possess, use transport, sell, purchase, carry, shop or distribute firearms in Michigan and have not satisfied all fines, prison terms, probation and parole conditions within three to five years of the conviction, you have violated state law and are charged with a felony, punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.
4. Illegal weapons: Manufacture, distribution, sale and possession of certain weapons are considered illegal in Michigan. For example, short-barreled shotguns and rifles and armor- piercing ammunition.
5. Possession of firearms on certain premises: It is against the law to have a firearm in a church, a court or sports arena.
Due to an increase in gun violence in urban areas, prosecutors in West Michigan are seeking greater numbers of weapons charges. If you are facing a weapons charge, you could be looking at a minimum two-year prison sentence in Michigan. The Criminal Defense Law Center of West Michigan will fight hard to keep you out of prison. We will never make you take a plea deal when you are facing weapons charges if you don’t believe a plea deal is in your best interest.
You may be looking for a reduction in the weapons charges filed against you or maybe you will be seeking an outright dismissal of the weapons charges. The Criminal Defense Law Center of West Michigan will take the time to examine your case and find the best defense option that will work in your case.
The severity of the weapons charges you may be facing are impacted by several factors which include:
- Whether or not the gun was loaded or operable
- Where the gun was located
- Whether or not you knew it was in your possession
- If the rifle or handgun was used for hunting.
If you are facing any weapons charges in West Michigan or Grand Rapids, contact The Criminal Law Center of West Michigan asap at 616-438-6719! We will provide you with aggressive criminal defense that will get you results! We offer payment plans and take all major credit cards. Don’t wait! Call us today if you are facing weapons charges.
Our Criminal Defense Lawyers in West Michigan Proudly Serve: Kent County, Ottawa County, Allegan County, Ionia County, Barry County, Berrien County, Mason County, Manistee County, Mecosta County, Oceana County, Muskegon County, Montcalm County, Newaygo County, Kalamazoo County, Lake County, Van Buren County, and the City of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Our Grand Rapids Criminal Lawyers Also Proudly Serve The West Michigan Cities Of: Grand Rapids, Holland, Allendale, Wyoming, Kentwood, Grandville, Walker, Hudsonville, Grand Haven, Coopersville, Spring Lake, Ionia, Zeeland, Stanton, Hastings, Newaygo, White Cloud and Allegan.